Are you considering a career in real estate? Read on and find out:
- Where the majority of clients really come from!
- Common mistakes new REALTORS® make.
- The skills you’ll need to succeed.
When I first told my family I was giving up my job as an accountant to go into real estate, they literally laughed out loud! I think they thought I was having some sort of early mid-life crisis! They couldn’t understand why I’d give up a steady pay cheque, benefits and paid vacation to go into something that was, in their minds, very risky and much less professional. Now years later they respect my success and they can see how much I enjoy what I do, but at the time it was hard to hear. I bet you can relate. You’ve probably had people telling you you’re crazy, that you can’t do it, that most REALTORS® fail. Well they’re right on one hand, you are a bit crazy! Anyone who goes into business has to be a little bit crazy… in a good way! You have to be a little bit crazy to go after your dreams, to take a risk and put yourself out there!
Here’s what you need to know about where clients really come from…
- The #1 way that both buyers and sellers find a REALTOR® is through a referral!
42% of sellers and 41% of buyers per the National Association of REALTORS® 2016 statistics as reported by Keller Williams Realty.
- 24% of sellers and 12% of buyers worked with the REALTOR® who helped them before.
- 66% of sellers and 53% of buyers already have a personal connection with the REALTOR® they choose!
Staying in close touch with your sphere is the single most important thing you can do to build and sustain a strong real estate practice.
When I got started I couldn’t afford a lot of fancy marketing so I stuck to the basics… and ironically that was the best thing that could have happened to me. Instead of expensive marketing campaigns, I spent time with people! I invited people to join me in things I was doing, and I said “YES!” to every invitation, event, and opportunity to connect with people and grow my sphere. After meeting someone I truly enjoyed spending time with, I never ever lost touch. From snail mail to email and now on social media, I’ve continued to stay in touch on a personal level. And guess what? I created a life I enjoy as well as a group of people who continue to trust me with their own real estate needs and who to this day this continue to refer me to their friends and family. Today I continue to focus on what my clients need, and consistently provide them with truly useful and relevant information about the Edmonton real estate market.
Here’s what most new REALTOR® do …
- Choose a brokerage without asking enough questions and without considering if it’s the best “fit” for their business, their values and their desired lifestyle.
- Catch the “marketing virus” and pour tons of time and money into advertising without knowing what works … and what doesn’t!
- Focus on generating “cold leads” … ignoring all the business right under their nose!
The truth is, real estate is a long game. Buying and holding real estate as an investment is a long game. And building up a clientele of people who trust you to advise them on their real estate decisions is also a long game. Ideally the brokerage you choose should also be a great choice for the long-term as your business grows.
Here are just some of the things you’ll learn at Schmidt …
- How to build and sustain a strong referral-based business.
- How to demonstrate your value to clients …and be paid what you’re worth.
- How to help your sellers get results … faster!
- How to help buyers focus their search using our 5-step buyer process.
- How to draft a winning offer.
- How to negotiate effectively.
- How to write clauses that stick.
- How to protect your sellers.
- How to protect your buyers.
- How to protect yourself! There is a ton of legal liability in real estate!
- How to accurately price a property.
- How to properly market your listings.
- How to handle (and prevent!) Real Property Report issues.
- How to effectively use social media to grow your business.
- How to communicate better with everyone you meet.
- And perhaps most of all… learn how to manage yourself!
- You’ll learn to manage your mindset.
- You’ll learn to improve your personal productivity.
- You’ll learn how to step outside your comfort zone to achieve your goals!
- PLUS you’ll receive ongoing training and incredible team support when you’re in the thick of things, whether that’s 9pm on a Staurday night or 10am on Sunday morning.
By the way, at Schmidt we don’t compete with each other for clients. We work collaboratively. We share knowledge and offer back-up support to each other. We also always have a senior REALTOR® standing by to answer any questions you may have seven days a week by phone, email or text. We want each other to succeed and we actively support that success.
Here’s what some of our REALTORS® have to say …
- I love the collaborative working atmosphere. We have a lot of very talented and experienced people working toward the successful sale of each home. It is great for clients and great for the REALTORS® at Schmidt. – Roxane Tiessen
- Everyone is very passionate about real estate, but also super helpful and supportive. I love that each and every person is willing to share their experience! – Janelle Smaill
- I love the team and the support. When I have a question, I know that I won’t be putting someone out or inconveniencing them by asking – they’re always happy to help. – Jeanine Gallinger
- Since we offer our clients a team of experts and a full-service experience, I can spend my time where it’s most valuable – managing all aspects of their largest investment ever. I do love having colleagues around me who can help when I need it. My clients receive number one care as if it was me. – Sheri Grier
- I like that it’s such a positive work environment and that I always look forward to coming into the office because I know we’re going to have lots of fun and learn new things! – Rebecca Mitra
Here’s what to do next if you’d like to know more …
New beginnings are exciting! You’re embarking on a journey in business that is tremendously rewarding. Choosing the right brokerage as your partner is a huge part of making that journey as successful and fulfilling as it can be! If what we’re saying makes sense to you, please get in touch. Text or call our Training Manager Sabrina Bright at 780.906.5025 or email her at Sabrina@WeSellEdmonton.com to learn more.
Kathy Schmidt, Broker Owner*
Schmidt Realty Group Inc.
PS “I firmly believe that any new REALTOR® who knows at least 50 families in the Edmonton area can build a strong referral-based business by utilizing the training, systems and support provided by Schmidt Realty Group. Everything we teach, and every system we’ve built, supports the fact that people prefer to do business with someone they know, like and trust (that’s you!). We will teach you to earn and deserve that trust, and turn it into a successful real estate practice, by consistently staying in touch and providing meaningful information, outstanding service and excellent results to the people who will be counting on you to guide them through one of the most important financial transactions they will ever make.” – Kathy
* Kathy Schmidt won the 2011 REALTOR® of the Year award awarded by the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton and currently serves as a Director with the REALTOR® Association of Edmonton and as a hearing panel member for the Real Estate Council of Alberta.
CLICK HERE to see the 6 Steps to Getting Licensed through the Real Estate Council of Alberta